Recently I have been writing a lot about life. Needless to say, all these posts are drawn straight from my life experiences. A lot has been happening in my life lately. From recent incidents, I have learned a very important concept which changed the way I perceive. Self-love or the art of loving yourself made me realize the importance of my existence. It's been around since forever and it's about time you came to know of it.
Going by definition “Self-love requires you to be honest about your current choices and thought patterns and undertake new practices that reflect self-worth.” ~Caroline Kirk.
When they say "Love yourself" what the heck they mean? Is it about buying expensive things for myself, dining at star restaurants, hiking? Turns out Self-love is much more than all these. I came to know about it recently and let me elaborate.
I belong from a joint family and it's hard for me to stay alone be quiet. Reflecting on my family, I have made a lot of friends and I can't be without them. Having friends makes me feel awesome but the absence of a partner makes it harsh. I have constantly been putting my energy to find the right girl for me. But this process has nearly killed my inner self. I was so focused on finding someone that I forgot myself.
I was frustrated, depressed, broken from inside and having a hard time to find myself. I spent every waking hour to myself, trying to understand how and why I had gotten there. I had to know because whatever it was if I did not attend to it, this was going to be the end of the road for me. I knew it. After these happened realizations hit me hard and I decided it's time to love myself.
This realization set me in a quest for the meaning of Self-love both internally and externally. I found that loving myself is not that hard. It's just a set of practices that I needed to make me feel fulfilled. Some practices are listed down
- Putting ourselves first over everyone. It doesn't matter if it upsets somebody.
- Giving our health adequete attention. The required rest, exercise, nutrients, etc.
- Wearing clothes that make us feel good without thinking about being judged.
- Doing what feels good and right at the moment. Stop thinking about wasting time.
- Never feeling shame about our mistakes. Mistakes pave the way to righteousness.
- Spending quality time with ourselves and ditching technology as much as we can.
- Never blaming our parents for our current situation.
- Building a concrete believe in ourselves that the road we are following will shape our destiny.
- Being kinder and down to earth to every living organism. Remember we share the same planet with them. Show some respect.
- Stop being materialistic. Owning too much never makes us rich.
- Even if we land the best partner on the planet, this person won’t be able to make us happy and feel loved unless we create the space for it inside by practicing self-love. This is why self-love is an inside job.
Thanks for reading! Peace!!
Summarized from Blog post by Banu Sekendur